4.20.2010

lomography

During winter break this year, I took the opportunity to study abroad in London. To be honest, it was just an excuse to visit Britta and explore a city I'd never visited before. I arrived a few days early so that we could celebrate New Year's Eve together in style.

To document our scandalous night out, Britta decided to bring along her new playtoy: a Holga 120 CFN camera.

Although I pass the Lomography gallery store in New York all the time, I'd never had the chance to try one of these fun little cameras out for myself. They're entirely plastic and shoot medium format (120) film, although they can be modified to shoot 35mm and instant. Britta's Holga also included a flash with 3 built-in color gels. The camera's results are often unpredictable, with dream-like coloring, light leaks, and vignetting.

A few weeks ago, I decided I needed a Holga for myself. I stopped by Adorama in NYC (my favorite photography supply store) and picked up a starter kit, which included a roll of 120 film. I had no idea what I was doing, but with a Holga, that's sort of the point. I did end up with a couple of pretty shots:

view from the roof of my apartment building


around the neighborhood

another double exposure! spring in nyc is beautiful.


The only downside to the superfun Holga-- one roll of film cost $20 to process and scan at my local lab. Kind of defeats the purpose of a $45 camera. Next time, I think I'll have the film processed and then use a drum scanner at school to scan & print them.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! Rubie or I will try to reply to any questions you post here, so check back for your answer.