6.16.2010

Miss World

Apologies for the lack of recent posts. First I had to prep for my trip while Rubie packed, and then we spent 10 days hanging out and driving across the country, which was generally agreed to be better than driving with our respective families. There are tons of pictures, which I still have yet to look at because I am lame. I also managed to leave my Holga and Creative Zen in Rubie's car. WHOOPS. Anyway, hopefully I will get the pictures from my DSLR and edit them and get them posted in a series of posts in the next few days and update over the course of the week. My birthday is Sunday, and I have my outfit picked out already, so I am stoked!!!

BUT I DIGRESS. What this post is really about is my disastrous adventure with foam rollers.


NOTE: These are not the brand I used.


As I've mentioned, I have a fascination with retro and vintage style, which includes hair. I bought foam rollers last summer and never used them, and today I decided to put them in my hair. Let's keep in mind that my skills (hair, sports, art, whatever) usually fall into two categories: basically instant proficiency or, like the time I tried to learn to knit, AN ETERNAL INABILITY TO GRASP EVEN THE MOST REMEDIAL SKILL. Apparently, foam rollers fall into the latter category. Here is (approximately) how I imagined my hair looking like:



HERE IS WHAT MY HAIR ACTUALLY TURNED OUT LOOKING LIKE:



It was so awful I didn't even want to take a picture of my actual self, BUT EXCEPT THAT MY FRINGE WAS BETTER LOOKING: IT WAS THAT HAIR. I have had to brush it out several times, and it is still janky and full of tangles worst than last summer when I had such bad rats-nests in the underside of my hair (IRONICALLY THE THEN UN CHEMICALLY TREATED, UNBLEACHED HAIR) that my hairdresser spent the first 35 minutes of my appointment gently untangling it. Whatever kind of demon-spawn foam the rollers were made out of just grabbed onto my hair and were like LOL NOT EVER LETTING GO. I ended up having to summon my mother, who grew up in the era of foam/hot rollers, to help me get them out and it STILL was a lengthy, painful, hair pulling/ripping out experience. WORST. I am going to stick with a curling iron or just flat ironing my skills, both of which I have mad skills using.

If my experience has not taught you a lesson i.e. I suck with foam rollers and the hate me (my rollers were also too small for the amount of hair I have, so they took FOREVER to dry), you can get foam rollers at most grocery stores (I got mine at Raleys), drugstores, and places like Sally's Beauty. I HOPE YOUR RESULTS TURN OUT BETTER THAN MINE.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! Rubie or I will try to reply to any questions you post here, so check back for your answer.