6.23.2010

Where the Wild Things Are

Rompers seem to be one of those items people either love or loathe. I fall into the former category, much to the long-suffering sighs of my family who are more of the latter type. Whatever; haters to the left. This particular romper came from H&M last summer and I've certainly gotten my money's worth of wear from it. It's comfy, slouchy, and makes me look pretty good.

H&M, I have noticed, is ALSO one of those places that people love or loathe. I wear a lot of clothes from H&M and people often compliment me on them or ask where I got them. When I say H&M, the reaction is often, "Really? I can never find ANYTHING there." One girl even went so far as to compare it to shopping in a jumble sale (most of these people are English). I suppose I can understand where she is coming from. My local H&M in London was in Covent Garden and was three full floors of overwhelming looks. Even the one near my house at home, which has only one and 3/4ths rooms of clothes, still holds an impressive amount of goods.

My secret? Go often and go without a goal. A lot of H&M stuff is remade in different colors/fabrics each shipment so if you see something you like, you should try it on. That way if it's awful, you can ignore it next time despite the fact it's in a great color you like because you know it has weird armpits/makes you look fat/gives you an impossibly large butt/etc. Also, because you go into the shop often, you can skip all the stuff you've already looked and and previously tried on. This also makes it easier to spot new things. A top: to figure out when new stock is coming, notice that they start to put everything on sale that's been in the store awhile. And finally, I find the best things I get at H&M are when I just go to browse. I don't really buy "core" wardrobe staples at H&M. I buy weird trendy things. Like this romper. When it only costs $20, it's worth the risk. Plus H&M has a great return policy, so when you get buyer's remorse over that mesh-paneled unitard, you can just take it back.

Where the Wild Things Are 2/3

Where the Wild Things Are 1/3

Where the Wild Things Are 3/3
Romper: H&M, Belt: Thrifted, Shoes: Michael by Michael Kors

7 comments:

Cat said...

Great romper find! You are so right...I often take "non-mission" shopping trips and always find some goodies. Plus, you need to try on a variety of things...clothes that look wierd on the hanger oftentimes look awesome when one a real person :)

Unknown said...

This romper is wonderful, and I love the pop of blue that the belt adds! I almost bought a romper a few weeks ago but chickened out. I'm definitely considering going back for it though :)

Hannah said...

I'm on your side. Rompers seem to be the perfect summer garment to me. They're just as stylish as dresses, but not quite indecent.

Brianna said...

I still haven't found a romper that I like on me but your romper looks great on you--super flattering and I love the belt!

http://the-not-so-secret-loves-of-bri.blogspot.com/

SWEATshirtDRESSshirt said...

adorable romper! i am still on a quest to find the perfect one. the only place left that would probably have one for a reasonable price, that i have tried yet, is h&m. :)

xoxo
http://sweatshirtdressshirt.blogspot.com

Rebecca Jane said...

I'm on team romper, although I have to say I do like some better than others. Yours is really cute!

Tria Zaluska said...

very cute belt.. love the color!


visit my blog:
http://ladymitroz.blogspot.com/

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! Rubie or I will try to reply to any questions you post here, so check back for your answer.