6.25.2010

Welcome to the Jungle

Picking a place to photograph your outfit seems like it wouldn't be that hard. Find somewhere with decent light that has an acceptable background. Unfortunately, because we live in a long, low, well-shaded ranch house, there isn't really anywhere to take photos indoors. Which means a jaunt to the backyard. I get tired of taking pictures in the backyard, though. I feel like they maybe don't set off my more urban outfits well. But alas, we must work with what we've got. Andi and I decided to try the front yard the other day to mixed results. Mostly we realized that the bushes/trees in our yard are going to eat us in our sleep sometime in the very near future.

Welcome to the Jungle
Andi about to be eaten by plants ala Little Shop of Horrors. See less nightmare/SciFi Original Movie inducing pictures of her outfit here.


Welcome to the Jungle
Sweater: Talbots, Shorts: homemade from Andi's old jeans, Shoes: Charles by Charles David

I thought this outfit was from yesterday, which only goes to show I am going senile. It's from Wednesday. Andi and I had decided to go thrifting and it was deceptively hot and humid outside. As usual I could not dress myself. This is an ongoing problem wherein I rampage about and then decide to angrily wear jeans and the grubbiest tee-shirt I can find to spite my other clothes. On this day, however, I sat down in my underwear to angrily scroll through blogs and ended up on Weardrobe. One of the outfits caught my eye, this one worn by Amanda of Off of Broadway.

Welcome to the Jungle

Do you ever have one of those sudden OMG DUH I AM SO DUMB? flashes of insight? This is what happened to me when I saw that outfit. Everything just clicked and I ran back to my room with a pair of scissors and hacked the legs off some old jeans Andi had donated to me. Okay this isn't totally true. I learnt my lesson last time I tried to make cut-offs, so this time I drew a line ALL THE WAY AROUND while wearing them so they didn't end up too Daisy Duke and uneven. THEY STILL ENDED UP WONKY. Whatever, that's the charm of cut-offs, right? I'm not a big pull-over sweater wearer, but I have this great Talbots Collections v-neck that my sister gave me because she didn't wear it. The stripes sort of hit me in unfortunate spots and it fit better when I was slightly heavier, but I really love the cut and the dolmen sleeves. Plus it is insanely comfortable. My mother swore I would sweat to death in it, but I was surprisingly cool.

Welcome to the Jungle

I was originally going to "hipster" my hair to go with a different outfit (read: put one of those elastic headbands on over it. I ended up doing it yesterday to hold my next-day bangs in place) which is why it's straight. I used to always wear my hair straight, but I've gotten really fond of its natural waves. Plus those are SO MUCH less time intensive. I had to fully blow-dry my hair and then flat iron it to get this look and I feel like it's slightly generic.

Oh, and while thrifting, I discovered I am slightly allergic to my wedges. I have a really bad nickel allergy and apparently the rivets and metal loops make me itch!

Welcome to the Jungle

5 comments:

D e g a i n e said...

great photos :)


D E G A I N E

http://www.fashiondegaine.com

SWEATshirtDRESSshirt said...

both of your girls' outfits are absolutely adorable! my favorite thing about andi's is how the color of the belt pops over the black and white stripes.

for your's, i REALLY love the fact that your shorts were DIY, and those wedges are amazing!! very unique heel, and a great shade of brown. :)

xoxo
http://sweatshirtdressshirt.blogspot.com

Britta said...

Andi always rocks those belts over shirts, damn her! I look awful in them.

I don't know why people pay for cut-offs, especially ones from actual shops (not thrift store). They're so easy to make and they'll shred out after you wash them a few times.

Shelby said...

Shorts are one thing I could never pull off! Good on you though!

Meg! said...

Those shoes are rockin!

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! Rubie or I will try to reply to any questions you post here, so check back for your answer.