6.26.2010

You think a lot of men can't handle the regalness of a updo right right?

This post/hairdo came about for two main reasons. 1. I have had long hair for several years now and had long hair in high school before that. But I never DO anything with it. I mean, even flat-ironing the big waves it gets in the back was beyond me in high school. And I only really started wearing it curly/wavy last summer after experimenting for a few months with different techniques. Basically my go-to hairdos were: straight & down (center or side part) OR a ponytail. Once and awhile maybe I'd mix it up and put just the front in a pompadour.

My senior year of college, however, I worked a lot of 7am shifts and I just was not willing to get up that extra 20 minutes earlier to do my hair. Suddenly I started getting a lot more into braids, side braids, low side ponies, and other hairdos that hide greasy hair. Rubie had also introduced me to dry shampoo, which I had been using on-and-off to varying degrees of success my junior year. Fast forward 18 months and I am now the master of my previously unmanageable greasy hair. I came about this in two ways: 1. bleaching the shit out of it and 2. baby powder. I get all Marie Antoinette on that shit and just douse my roots and then scrunch it in and (if I feel so inclined) brush it through my roots. I now only wash my hair every other day or every three days. In fact, I put so much stuff in my hair yesterday for this hairdo, I could've skipped washing it today except my hair felt heavy and my scalp got a little upset about all the backcombing.

06262010_03

06262010_02
Tunic: TopShop, Leggings: American Apparel, Belt & Necklace: H&M, Pumps: Coach

The second reason I decided to try a beehive was I got this amazing 1960s inspired yellow sheath dress for my cousin's wedding in two weeks. Since it's in Alabama in July, I am pretty sure I want to rock an updo or something because me and humidity do not get along well. At all. Or heat. Or sweating.

06262010_05

06262010_06

Because I am me, I did not look at a tutorial until I had already backcombed most of my hair, but I think it turned out alright anyway. The back was a little bit of a mess and I was debating bangs vs no bangs, hence the two looks. Also it RAINED yesterday morning and was cool enough I went for leggings instead of shorts! What is that?!

06262010_04
I jus wanna let you know the back of yo head is ridicolous.


I got these shoes on super deep clearance for $20. Originally they were $300+!!! They're also shockingly comfortable.

06262010_01

7 comments:

Unknown said...

This outfit is so lovely, and your hair looks fantastic! :) I wish I could do my hair like that, but it's a bit too short.

. said...

(http://navelinas.blogspot.com/2010/06/blog-post_26.html) Thanks! Yes, we had so much fun :)

Love your hair and shoes!

Brianna said...

I love the outfit and I completely understand what you mean about the hair thing. I rarely do anything with my hair because I have the waves in the back that are very resistant to a straightener. I love the updo you created.

http://the-not-so-secret-loves-of-bri.blogspot.com/

Lexie said...

whoa! that hairstyle is fabulous! i love the ruffles on your top, too!

Sara said...

I love the beehive! You did a great job :)

Unknown said...

Gorgeous pictures - your blog is so awesome,
I just stumbled upon it :)
Panda xx

Sybil said...

oooh fab hair and shoes!!! awesome look! :D

Animated Confessions

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! Rubie or I will try to reply to any questions you post here, so check back for your answer.